By John Hopkins
SHANNONVILLE, ON -- Alex Welsh claimed pole position for this weekend’s pair of Pirelli Pro Sport Bike races at Shannonville Motorsport Park by turning a lap at 1:05.403 on his Z1 CycleTech Suzuki GSX-R600 to claim the Kawasaki S4-R Competition Lubricants Pole Award in that class.
The Uxbridge, Ont. racer was in front by the 15-minute mark of the 25-minute session and lowered his time in the final 10 minutes. He did suffer a fall late in the session but was able to ride his bike back to the pits.
"I probably didn't need to go back out," Welsh said of the crash. "I just went into turn four a little too aggressive and clipped my case on a kerb."
The Z1 team of Zaid Saleemi has been able to massage some more power from the new GSX-R600, which was virtually stock at the season opener at Circuit ICAR.
"The motor's been touched, I think we're on an equal footing with everyone else," Welsh said, "although we haven't really had a chance to go up against everyone since ICAR.
Keene, Ont.'s Jodi Christie was second quickest at 1:06.026 on his Jodi Christie Racing / Bluestreakracing.ca Honda CBR600RR and Andrew Nelson of Kars, Ont. made a late push to grab third with a time of 1:06.346 riding the ProStar Motorsports Yamaha YZF-R6.
"It's been a long time since I've been on a 600 and it's taking me longer than I'd hoped to get back up to speed," Nelson explained. "But I think in the race things will be better."
Frank Trombino, winner of the season opener, completes the front row for this weekend's races on the Suzuki Canada / Hindle / Sturgess Cycle Suzuki GSX-R600 with a time of 1:06.373.
Making his first national appearance of the season, Kenny Riedman of Belfountain, ON was fifth quickest on his Triumph 675. He will be joined by ICAR star Jeremie Hade Precourt aboard the JHP Racing / Picotte Motorsports Suzuki GSX-R600 and Bodhi Edie of Warman, SK on the Edie Racing Honda CBR600RR.
Pro Sport Bike Qualifying Results
1. Alex Welsh, Uxbridge, ON (Suzuki GSX-R600) 1:05.403
2. Jodi Christie, Keene, ON (Honda CBR600RR) 1:06.026
3. Andrew Nelson, Kars, ON (Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:06.346
4. Frank Trombino, Woodbridge, ON (Suzuki GSX-R600) 1:06.373
5. Kenny Reidmann, Belfountain, ON (Triumph 675) 1:07.481
6. Jeremie Hade Precourt, Granby, QC (Suzuki GSX-R600) 1:07.683
7. Bodhi Edie, Warman, SK (Honda CBR600RR) 1:07.763
8. Bill McKay, Tavistock, ON (Kawasaki ZX-6R) 1:07.921
9. Sean Huffman, Kemptville, ON (Honda CBR600RR) 1:07.985
10. Raphael Archambault, Terrebonne, QC (Suzuki GSX-R600) 1:08.605
11. Marie-Josee Boucher, Montreal, QC (Honda CBR600RR) 1:09.307
12. Joey McRae, Orangeville, ON (Yamaha YZF-R6) 1:09.319
13. Vicki Schouten, Ottawa, ON (Kawasaki ZX-6R) 1:11.889
14. Darren James, North Vancouver, BC (Buell 1125R) No Time
15. Sylvain Dery, St-Colomban, QC (Yamaha YZF-R6) No Time
Friday, July 1, 2011
Welsh fastest in Pro Sport Bike
By John Hopkins